Saturday, October 3, 2009

And Then...

A while back I was watching a special on KBYU. It was showing women in third world countries and talking about the hard lives they have. It told about how people were giving microlans to these women to help raise their families. (Microloans are very small loans given to people in poverty, helping them to become better entreprenuers.)
After watching this I got so excited to help, I looked it up online and sent a loan to a lady in Peru. Her name is Maria Pascuala, she is married and has three children.

She sells plastic products on the street. After giving her the loan she has been able to double her income and send her children to school.

She wrote me a cute little letter this week "demanding" I come visit her as soon as I can.

Thank you all for doing the quiz, i know they were hard, I didn't know any of the correct responses either. But I thought they were interesting. I shall be sending the prizes to all those that tried shortly. And I'll post what the answers are too.

7 comments:

Alan and Shelley said...

I saw that BYU program also and I remember thinking that I need to send more $ in humanitarian to the church. I, for some reason, did not catch that you can send it directly there. that's so wonderful that you did and that you now have a person in Peru who you know. That's a wonderful feeling when you help others. You're great to do that.

sara said...

What a good example you are. I am so glad that you took the opportunity to help this Peruvian woman. I hope that you and Brooks do get to go back to Peru some day.

Michael & Lindsey said...

That's really cool Miranda! That's pretty much what they talked about at conference, and you were already doing it. I was just thinking of helping out at animal pounds and stuff like that lol, but obviously I need to expand my horizons to helping actual PEOPLE like you! Great job!!!

Alan and Shelley said...

Happy Birthday yesterday! Hope you had a great time with everyone. I heard you were making dinner, way to go! Did you get a big birthday hug from Leah? I hope she didn't wreck your house while she was there. She can be pretty fast and crazzzzy. Hope to see lots of pictures of Brooks modeling all those cool outfits you can make him now with your new sewing machine.

Amber said...

How do we apply to receive a microlan from you guys?

Miranda Gutierrez said...

Lol... You send Brooklyn up for a week..

Katie Dotson said...

Hi. You have NO idea who I am. I was blog hopping on this lazy Saturday and just read about your Microloan to the lady in Peru. I was wondering what site you went to to do this? I would love to do something like this for someone. Thanks. :-)