Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dun, dun....dun

Quiz

(No cheating)

1. Why did the British military wear red in the Revolutionary War?

2. What is the number one way the U.S. Federal government gets income?

3. What caused economic development after the year 1000?

4. What is the Schlieffen Plan in World War I?

5. About how many people overall, died in the Great War?

6. What kind of map is completely accurate?

7. What is UTM projection?

8.What’s the difference between being an adolescent or an emerging adult in most traditional cultures?

9. What does menarche mean? (I did not know this- Mom’s fault)

10. How long did Spartan soldiers have to live in the barracks?



Extra Credit: What class is the question from..

7 comments:

Whit said...

Your quiz is kinda hard, I will have to submit my answers when I have more time. thanks for making us think!

Jennifer said...

1. They wore red so that they could be seen easily if they were trying to desert.

2. Income tax

3.Buying and selling or bartering.

4.The German plan to fight a war on two fronts (France and Russia).
I had to look this one up.

5. 50 million?

6. A map made from a satellite photograph.

7.A grid mapping system. Universal Transverse Mercator.
I had to look this one up also.

8. Marriage

9. Menstruation.

10. From their childhood to old age.

Whit said...

1. Because when they would fight on the battlefield, the smoke from the muskets would fill the field and if you wore bright colosrs you could still see your enemy.
2. Taxation
3. Merchantilism, and the iron age. People began trading around mesopathamia, and the meditranian.
4. Fighting on the East and West of Europe. france and russia.
5. Around 40 million
6. One that I draw, because I have some wicked awesome skills.
7. coordination system?
8. When you are old enough to think for yourself, or when you leave the nest.
9. That thing that I try never to talk about.
10. Mom is right but I am going to be more specific from 7 to 30. Poor guys.

Alan and Shelley said...

I think that most of your questions are hard, because I have not taken a world history course, but these are my answers and I think you should use them on your class tests.
1. The British wore red because that particular hue is so much more attractive on English complexions.
2. The government gets most income through renting Canada to the Canadians.
3. False
4. You thought you would fool me but you can't! The Schlieffen Plan was not in World War I, it was in World War II and more commonly known as Market Garden.
5. Whitney took my answer, I don't know how she knew what I was going to say, so instead I will tell you how many people died in the even greater war: 200.
6. A pirate treasure map.
7. UTM projection is Uruguay Transcontinental Mailings Projections.
8. A hairy chest is the difference between adolescense and adulthood.
9. I think you spelled MONARCHY wrong and monarchy means royal people who rule a country. (My own definition.)
10. When I was a spartan at emery high we learned this was 12 months.

And these is my words.

Anne Adele said...

Oh Miranda, I love your quizzes. Sometimes they make me feel real smart and the rest of the time, well lets not speak of it.

1.I don't know why the British wore red. All the other answers seem very reasonable. I do know, however the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey would say. There was a clothing manufacturer in England who had a contract with the British Govt. to supply uniform for the army. He bought a large supply of red wool fabric. Then England lost the Revolutionary War, they didn't need the uniforms and the man, known as Mr. Pink, was stuck with all this fabric. He had his tailors make the fabric into hunting jackets and marketed them as the new thing. All the gentlemen bought them because they were red, just like the army guys, and they were called pinks in honor of the man who sold them. So when you read a Georgette Heyer and there is a reference to "pinks" you will know what is being talked about.

2 Taxes

3 I'm gonna say an increase in population and the growth of cities.


4 A plan for Germany to invade France through Belgium, Holland and Lux.

5 No idea.

6 A globe.

7 Again no Idea.

8 I think it is when kids get the driving permits.

9 A girls very first period.

10 I don't know how long they had to stay in the barracks, but I think they went in at five years of age.

I think you got all the lovely ideas for your quiz from your world history class, the early years.
6

Amber said...

1. It hid blood stains better.

2. Printing more money!

3. everone decided to invest as soon as they realized that the world didn't end as predicted in the theory "Y1K". (see repeating world events: Y2K)

4. Schlieffen Plan: the plan for how to feed all of the German troops. Named after the infamous Schlieffen Burger

5. too many

6. No map is completely accurate

7. ask Tim

8. whether or not you're dumb enough to be drinking yet

9. bloating, cramps, acne, and moodiness

10. until their time came to fight the lions


...thanks Miranda. You know how I LOVE being reminded of how smart I am. So what do I win?

Rachel said...

This Rachel speaking. I have no Idea about any of these except the very first one. It is because, very simply, Red was the cheapest kind of dye at the time. And Deserters would turn their coats inside out, so people wouldn't see them.